Livingston 2-0 Dunfermline

Last updated : 01 May 2005 By Livimckenna

The Lions easily beat a poor Dunfermline side to go three points clear of bottom spot in the SPL. Captain Burton O’Brien sent us on our way and Sub James McPake scored the important second goal to kill the game off. Click to read more from Livimckenna.

Richard Gough named a unchanged side for the third game in a row. Although Greg Strong and Pascal Nouma were back on the bench.

As the game kicked there must have been a lot of nerves amongst the players and fans.

Dunfermline started the better with Darren Young thunderous shot was well held by Roddy McKenzie.

At the other end Kachloul smartly took a quick free kick which was well saved by Stillie low down to his right.

Burton O’Brien came really close with a powerful twenty yard shot which went just wide. At this point Livi were started to take control of the game.

McMenamin Forced Stillie into a impressive save when he shot low and hard.

Then Livi should have been ahead when Kachloul played a lovely disguised ball to Lilley and his shot went over from twelve yards out.

You could sense a Livi goal coming and it came from the impressive Burton O’Brien. McMenamin played the ball Lilley left it for O’Brien who should a great burst of pace to get into the box and slot the ball past Stille.

Livi went in at half time 1-0 to the good and the came out in the second a nearly scored the second straight away. Jason Dair caught a sweet volley which was well held by Stillie.

McMenamin Forced Stillie into a smart save when O’Brien played the ball to him and he flicked the ball which was blocked at the near post.

Livi introduced Mcpake and within two minutes of being on the park he scored the important second goal. A O’Brien Corner was neatly flicked on by McMenamin and Mcpake nodded the ball over the line.

The goal calmed the Livi fans nerves and Goughy who was passionate at the sidelines all afternoon. But unfortunately for James he was stretched off with what appeared to be an ankle injury.

Hristov had the chance to step up a nervy finish but his shot was low and straight at McKenzie.

The Dunfermline fans were clearly unhappy and they were calling for Davie Hay’s head.

The result gives us a cushion and a boost but we are not safe yet. The gap is only three points and we need to get another three or four points if we want to stay up.

Gough was clearly happy with this result and he had this to say "This was a must-win game for us today because we have two very hard away games coming up against Inverness and Kilmarnock.

"We just had to give ourselves some breathing space.

"I'm just really pleased for the players because it's about players, not coaches or managers."