Livingston 3 Motherwell 1

Last updated : 14 February 2004 By Footymad Previewer

A commanding first-half performance was enough to seal all three points for Livingston.

Goals from Jamie McAllister, Derek Lilley and David Fernandez - all before half-time - took the game out of Motherwell's reach.

Livingston could hardly have had a better start and were in front after less than three minutes.

Fernandez cut the ball back to McAllister on the edge of the area and the full back rifled a shot into the top corner of the net with a superb strike.

Motherwell responded and Alex Burns created a chance for himself with a neat piece of skill but his final shot was beaten out by Roddy McKenzie.

But Livingston took full control after this. A clever back-heel from Fernandez sent Lee Makel clear but he dithered in front of goal and the chance was lost.

But the goal was only delayed until the 29th minute when Fernandez set up Lilley and he slammed home his 14th goal of the season.

Fernandez should have added a third seven minutes later when Gary Bollan tried in vain to play offside as the Spanish striker raced onto a Makel pass but he allowed Gordon Marshall time to get down and smother the ball.

Moments later, Marshall produced an instinctive save to deny Fernandez again after Lilley had headed on a McKenzie clearance.

Fernandez had another opportunity from a Lilley cross seven minutes before the break when he was unmarked in front of goal but he tried a spectacular bicycle kick and failed to connect properly and Marshall gathered easily.

It finally came right for the striker just before half-time when Makel sent him clear and he skipped past Marshall to drill the ball home from a tight angle.

Motherwell came back in the second half and McKenzie denied Derek Adams and then David Clarkson in quick succession.

Jason Dair then set up a great chance for Keith Lasley but he blazed his shot over the top without testing McKenzie.

Motherwell scored a consolation goal in the final minute when Oscar Rubio fouled Kenny Wright in the box and, although McKenzie saved Adams' initial effort, the Motherwell man followed up to score.